Jackson County was created in 1822 out of what was then the Escambia territory. Originally Jackson County spanned from the Suwannee River to the Chotawhatchee River. The county boundaries slowly changed as new counties were formed and by the early 1900s the boundaries had been set to where they are today.
When Jackson County was created there were no towns. The first three courts were held at what is today Blue Springs, then at Big Spring of Chotawhatchee and next at the "Chipola Settlement which was located at today's Waddell's Mill Pond in 1822, 1823 and 1824 respectively.
The first town in Jackson County was called Webbville, founded in 1827 it located about 9 miles North West of Marianna. Webbville was poised to be the county seat, but in 1828 a group a settlers from Marianna went to Tallahassee and offered the state legislators free land, the construction of a courthouse and a land auction to finance the new government, if the legislators would agree to make Marianna the county seat. The legislators agreed. This was the beginning of the end of Webbville and the start of a growing Marianna.
It was around the time when the county was originally created that many settlers moved into to the area. There was activity beginning in the Malone and Greenwood area as early as 1824. Sneads was beginning to be settled as early as 1832. Graceville was incorporated in 1902, Cottondale in 1905 and Grand Ridge in 1907. So by the early 1900s most of the modern day towns of Jackson County were well established.
To See the evolution of Jackson County Maps from 1825 to 1932 follow the link below.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /homepages/21/d175088933/htdocs/site/web/templates/gk_news/html/com_k2/templates/default/item.php on line 191