Menu
With the Belgian Red Cross at La Panne

With the Belgian Red Cross at La Pa…

Some accounts of the Ambu...

Miss Elizabeth Curry – leaving lasting impressions

Miss Elizabeth Curry – leaving last…

Students can consider the...

Teacher to vocalist – Peggy Cox honors her sister through music

Teacher to vocalist – Peggy Cox hon…

Peggy Cox is a retired En...

Marianna moves forward on administrative complex

Marianna moves forward on administr…

The Marianna City commiss...

MARIANNA AND CAMELOT

MARIANNA AND CAMELOT

Wars, whether fought by K...

Steven Vassallo  Born to protect and serve

Steven Vassallo Born to protect an…

Steven Vassallo has been ...

Will Jackson County lose the National Guard Armory?

Will Jackson County lose the Nation…

The Jackson County Times ...

Farm Bureau celebrates Farm Family of the Year

Farm Bureau celebrates Farm Family …

Last Thursday evening, Fa...

Marianna Health and Rehab additions completed

Marianna Health and Rehab additions…

The end is here and the M...

Bill Peacock – Straight as an arrow in and out of education

Bill Peacock – Straight as an arrow…

Bill Peacock’s name is sy...

Prev Next
Jackson County History

Jackson County History

Chipola Historical Trust, Inc. is a non-profit organization composed of volunteers who are dedicated to preservation and restoration of historical properties and memorabilia in the Jackson County area.

The organization is the only group which is totally dedicated to historical projects. They are responsible for purchasing and erecting historical markers, getting qualified properties designated as a National Historical Register property, and generally educating the public in historic matters.

#12 The Russ House

The house was built in 1895 by Joseph W. Russ, Jr. a prominent landowner and merchant, for him and his mother, who lived there with him only two years before her untimely death. However, the home was owned and occupied by members of his family for exactly 100 years. Around 1910,…
Read more...

#3 Riverside Cemetery

This is the original burial ground for Marianna. Among those buried here are persons who were prominent in the pioneering and development of Marianna, Jackson County, and the State of Florida and includes many Civil War casualties and veterans. It is located east and south of the courthouse off Jackson…
Read more...

#10 Milton House

Since the house was built, about 1909, it has been owned by descendants of Florida Civil War Governor, John Milton. It was originally built by Mr. and Mrs. William J. Daniels. Mrs. Daniels was the grand-daughter of Governor Milton. In 1995, the 4,200 square foot structure was acquired by Albert…
Read more...

#18 Marianna Woman's Club

The Old "Messer Home" as it was knwon for 59 years, was built in 1864 by Joseph T. Russ and his wife Mary, who sold the house to his daughter, Luella Russ Burke. In 1884, James Burke sold the house to Mary J. West, daughter of James and Harriet Hearn…
Read more...

#24 Lewis-Wycoff House

This antebellum home was built in the 1840's by Arthur Isavelle Lewis. It has been sold many times during the ensuing years. In 1984, Floye Brewton purchased the home and restored the oldest part. Obvious additions were removed, and an open porch was added around the entire house. There are…
Read more...

Lasche House Partenza

The property was purchased by Ethyl Baltzell in 1908, and the records indicate there was a house on site. It is believed that the house was two stories, with the second floor destroyed in a fire. Only the bottom floor was rebuilt. The latest restoration was achieved by the Rex Torbetts…
Read more...

#8 James MacKinnon Home

The home was constructed in the 1850's and was spared in the Battle of Marianna. The MacKinnon family had been in possession of the property since the early 1900's. Floye Brewton purchased the property from the estate in 2007. The simple symmetrical design of the house, which was restored to…
Read more...

Jackson County Library

The Jackson County Library began as a Bicentennial project of the Jackson County Heritage Association in 1975. The group received a $15,000 grant from the State Bicentennial Commission and $15,000 from the Jackson County Board of County Commissioners. The remaining funds were collected in an intensive fund drive from individuals,…
Read more...

Jackson County Courthouse

Four courthouses have stood on this site. Marianna became, after much controversy, the permanent county seat in 1829, two years after it was founded and named by Robert and Anna Maria Beveridge. They also donated the land and paid for much of the building of the first courthouse. Today the courthouse…
Read more...

#9 Holden House

This unique home, today in its original setting, was built in 1849 - 1850 by an Anderson family. It was sold to Dr. J.T. Holden, a cousin at a later date.   The house was built of yellow "heart pine" and was originally stained a natural color while the shutters were…
Read more...

#11 Hinson House

The Hinson House was built in 1920 by J.W. Hinson on property which was originally a portion of the Ely-Criglar properties. Mr. Hinson's wife, Sadie, wanted a house on fashionable Lafayette Street, and Mr. Hinson persuaded the Criglar Family to allow them to purchase the present site. The house was…
Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed