Since the house was built, about 1909, it has been owned by descendants of Florida Civil War Governor, John Milton. It was originally built by Mr. and Mrs. William J. Daniels. Mrs. Daniels was the grand-daughter of Governor Milton.
In 1995, the 4,200 square foot structure was acquired by Albert and Kathy Milton from his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Robert H. Milton, who had lived there since 1956. It has since gone through an extensive restoration and renovation in the spirit of maintaing it's natural beauty and historic character. The present color scheme dates to it's original construction.
The original house is built entirely of rough cut lumber, and all the interior walls measure twelve inches thick. The exterior front walls are constructed of a material no longer used, known as "pebble dash". There are seven fireplaces and two staircases. Most of the rooms are twelve feet in height. All of the hardwood floors are original. THe four-foot wide leaded glass front door leads into the foyer, lighted by a strauss crystal chandelier imported from Poland.
An original oil portrait of Caroline Howze Milton, wife of Governor John Milton, hangs over the living room mantel, where his cane rests.
Cited from Self-Guided Tour of the Marianna Area. Presented by Main Street Marianna and Chipola Historical Trust Jackson County Florida