Menu
Creating a stepping stone path using concrete forms

Creating a stepping stone path usin…

Follow these steps to cre...

Chuck Nolen inducted into FBLA Hall of Fame

Chuck Nolen inducted into FBLA Hall…

Chuck Nolen has been teac...

Danny Sims – student to teacher, coach and beyond

Danny Sims – student to teacher, co…

Any high school student k...

School Board approves Sneads Elementary/Grand Ridge School changes

School Board approves Sneads Elemen…

Tuesday afternoon at the ...

Jon Stapleton – Excelling above and beyond

Jon Stapleton – Excelling above and…

Jon L. Stapleton began as...

Spring Creek and Chipola River cleanup an issue

Spring Creek and Chipola River clea…

Jackson County is known f...

Glazing cabinets for an inexpensive update

Glazing cabinets for an inexpensive…

For about $25 you can tra...

JCFR Union officials agree on $1 an hour raise

JCFR Union officials agree on $1 an…

The Jackson County Commis...

County Commissioners hesitant about film crew

County Commissioners hesitant about…

Executive Director at Vis...

Prev Next

Finch House

  • Written by 

The Finch House is a Craftsman style bungalow built circa 1913 by James Finch, a prominent area Judge, attorney and two-term Florida Congressman, who was instrumental in the establishment of Jackson Hospital.

Mr. and Mrs. Finch, natives of Arlington, Alabama, moved to Marianna from Cedar Key soon after he passed the Florida Bar exam in 1911, and built their home on Putnam street. They raised four children here. The house remained in the Finch Family until 1989 when Judge Finch's grand-daughter who grew up in the house sold it.

In 1999, Linda Collins began the process of renovating the house while trying to retain its original beauty and character. Several improvements were made to the kitchen to make it more functional. IN 2006 Ms. Collins sold the home to the Michael Gilmore family who added a large bedroom addition to the rear of the house.

The house boasts twelve-foot ceilings and six fireplaces. The floors are heart pine and the wainscoting, mantles and exposed beams are mission oak. Windows and doors are original, some with leaded glass. There is a second floor "sleeping porch" and also a balcony off the upstairs hall. The dining room has a built-in mirrored buffet and china cabinet with leaded glass. Of particular interest in the living room is a "picture" composed entirely of inlaid woods of different natural colors and textures, built over the fireplace.

It is a "tough of the romantic" as it is a scene of the lighthouse at Cedar Key, the newlywed Finches' first home in Florida.

Cited from Self-Guided Tour of the Marianna Area.  Presented by Main Street Marianna and Chipola Historical Trust Jackson County Florida

Write a comment...
awesome comments!
Last modified onWednesday, 01 January 2014 04:32
back to top