Menu
Charles Hagler – Cutting up for 55 years

Charles Hagler – Cutting up for 55 …

Charles Hagler is definit...

Anne Mathis – Golson’s shining star

Anne Mathis – Golson’s shining star

To say Anne Mathis is a v...

Jackson County School Board is pro-active in light of recent events

Jackson County School Board is pro-…

Jackson County Superinten...

DIY garage door maintenance tips

DIY garage door maintenance tips

People often ask how they...

How to replace damaged wood lap siding

How to replace damaged wood lap sid…

Wood siding can rot or be...

Something to Cook About - The Baker, the Bug & the Banana Bread too!

Something to Cook About - The Baker…

Monarch butterflies flutt...

CHS ICON-COACH CHRIS OBERT

CHS ICON-COACH CHRIS OBERT

Coaches who choose to coa...

County to meet with top candidate on salary

County to meet with top candidate o…

The Jackson County Commis...

Marianna City Commission opts to stay with JCDC

Marianna City Commission opts to st…

At the regular Marianna C...

How to build a custom TV picture frame

How to build a custom TV picture fr…

Building a decorative woo...

Prev Next

#14 Ely-Criglar house

  • Written by 
#14 Ely-Criglar house

This house boasts one of the earliest dates of completion of the antebellum mansions to be built in Jackson County. It was constructed about 1840 by Francis Ely, and made mostly of bricks manufactured on site. The house was originally much larger, but the east wing was removed, and the west wing is now a separate building, known as the 1840's House, facing Russ Street.

In 1889 the mansion was purchased by Francis B. Carter, later to become a Florida Supreme Court Justice. In 1900 it became the property of Joseph M. Criglar. Members of the Criglar family lived int he mansion until the 1990's, at which time Floye Brewton purchased it. He has done extensive restoration and interior decorating.

This house has been occupied almost continually since it was built. In 1960 it was listed by the National Archives of the Historic American Home Builders Survey as one of the few structures having sufficient historic or architectural interest to be included.

The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Cited from Self-Guided Tour of the Marianna Area.  Presented by Main Street Marianna and Chipola Historical Trust Jackson County Florida

Write a comment...
awesome comments!
Last modified onWednesday, 01 January 2014 04:32
back to top