Mary Jane Dickson purchased the lot in 1901 for eight hundred sixty dollars ($860.00). She was the widow of Marmaduke N. Dickson, Jr., who at age 20, was a Captain in the Confederate Army. His father, age 53, was one of the "old men" killed in the Battle of Marianna.
The circa 1902, two story Queen Anne style Victorian home was built of heart pine with tower, turret, gazebo, gingerbread and spindles on the wrap-around porch. The interior features a cantilevered staircase, seven fireplaces, molding with rosette motifs, and pine floors.
Family members owned the home for 83 years. In 1985, Marmaduke "Duke" Dickson, the grandson, sold the house to Mr. Floye Brewton. Brewton began restoration and added a carriage house. He sold antiques and called it the 1840 House Gallery.
Charles and Ora Mock purchased the home in 1997 as their residence and continued restoration. The house, mostly original, has retained its architectural integrity. The Mocks added 12 inch crown moldings to enhance the eleven foot ceilings and are furnishing the house with Victorian period pieces.
A twelve-inch wide baseboard was removed by the dining room fireplace. Hiding there, for nearly one hundred years, was an empty half pint whiskey bottled, cork intact. This probably explains errors made in construction of the fireplace.Cited from Self-Guided Tour of the Marianna Area. Presented by Main Street Marianna and Chipola Historical Trust Jackson County Florida
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /homepages/21/d175088933/htdocs/site/web/templates/gk_news/html/com_k2/templates/default/item.php on line 191