This is the site of an unusual Civil War Memorial in that it describes the Battle of Marianna's participation by old men and young boys of the Home Guard. It was erected by the William Henry Milton Chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy in 1921.
The original park was much larger. It contained a "Fire Bell", and there were hitching posts all around it. As automobile traffic increased, the "Band Stand" was removed to provide parking and wider streets. In the late 1980's, the Marianna Woman's Club raised the money to build the present Gazebo, which has added to the beauty of the park.
A Blue Star Memorial Highway marker stands on the east side of the park. It was erected by the Marianna Garden Club as a memorial to the Armed Forces that have defended the United States.
The park has, for many years, been used for a variety of things in the community activities and is enjoyed by many who wish to just sit and rest.
Cited from Self-Guided Tour of the Marianna Area. Presented by Main Street Marianna and Chipola Historical Trust Jackson County Florida
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /homepages/21/d175088933/htdocs/site/web/templates/gk_news/html/com_k2/templates/default/item.php on line 191