Menu
How to build a mailbox post

How to build a mailbox post

A mailbox post is a prett...

Evelyn Ward – not your everyday educator

Evelyn Ward – not your everyday edu…

More than likely when you...

A grandfather remembered

A grandfather remembered

It is popularly believed ...

Jackson County Junior BETA excels at State Convention

Jackson County Junior BETA excels a…

Jackson County schools we...

K-8 School recipient of fee waiver from City of Marianna

K-8 School recipient of fee waiver …

Stuart Wiggins, Director ...

Jackson County School Board has changing of the guards

Jackson County School Board has cha…

The Jackson County School...

“Nick” Williams- Educator for 47 years, friend for life

“Nick” Williams- Educator for 47 ye…

“Nick” Gladys Williams of...

County to consider alternatives to improve emergency services

County to consider alternatives to …

Recent discussions with c...

How to build a drop-zone bench

How to build a drop-zone bench

A bench that holds basket...

Brylynn Jean Kornegay – Heart Warrior taking one day at a time

Brylynn Jean Kornegay – Heart Warri…

Restrictive cardiomyopath...

Prev Next

The Baptist Church Cemetery

This plot was used by the Bryan family for burials before the Baptist Church moved to this location. We are dealing with the "old" part of the cemetery which is on the north side of the building.

In the overall view the tallest monument is a tribute to Elijah, the father of the clan. He died at the age of 59 in 1852. His wife Elizabeth Penelope died at the age of 62 in 1870. Her grave is by his marker. They married in Jan 1824. She was 44 years of age when he died. She bore 14 children by the time of his death. The last, Elizabeth (Lizzie) was born in 1852. She married Mr. E.T.C. Dickenson. Their home was built in 1882 and is directly across the street from the cemetery.

As we go nearer to the beginning point of the grave yard we see the next tallest marker which is dedicated to Hamilton and his wife Christiana M. Barnes. The slab covering his grave indicates Hamilton died in Eminence, KY. In the foreground are slabs identifying some of their children and their spouses.

Here we are at the very beginning just to the left of Hamilton's grave. Little Tom was the first to be buried. His is the round top stone on the right. Notice the wood foot marker. It is sound and solidly implanted. I believe it is of virgin pine and is the original marker as the virgin pine can withstand the weather for a very long time.

The marker reads:

Thomas Barnes the only child of H.G. and C.M. Bryan
Born Feb 18, 1858 Died April 4, 1859
The broken marker reads:
Infant Son of H.G. and C.M. Bryan
Born Nov 4, 1862 Died Jan 4, 1863

The second burial was of
Rev. J.H. Wombwell.
He was born Sept 27, 1822 and died July 18, 1859. (Left)
We conclude with J.M.F. Erwin and his wives, both of whom were daughters of Elijah and Elizabeth Bryan. Next week we will visit their home.

I have chosen these pictures to show how important these people considered their heritage to be and also to give the historical development of the cemetery. It is an interesting place to visit, especially if you are interested in genealogy.

Read more...

Dale Cox Releases New Book About Forgotten Area Battle

The Scott Massacre of 1817  Greensboro, FL -February 18, 2013 - Today the West Gadsden Historical Society (WGHS) announced the release of a new book detailing the first U.S. defeat of the Seminole Wars.

The Scott Massacre of 1817, by author and historian Dale Cox, is the first book-length study of the little-known but significant battle of that name that took place on the upper Apalachicola River on November 30, 1817. Thoroughly researched and illustrated with both original artwork and modern photographs, the book sheds dramatic new light on the encounter and its role in American history.

"The attack on Lieutenant Scott's command resulted in one of the most devastating defeats of a U.S. military force in history," said Cox. "It was the first U.S. defeat of the Seminole Wars, a series of conflicts that would continue for the next forty years."

According to the author, the battle took place when a force of several hundred Red Stick Creek, Seminole and African (Black Seminole) warriors attacked a U.S. Army boat on the Apalachicola River at the modern city of Chattahoochee. The attack was in retaliation for raids by soldiers on the Creek Indian village of Fowltown in what is now Decatur County, Georgia. By the time the smoke cleared, Lieutenant Richard W. Scott's command had suffered a stunning casualty rate of 98%, higher than that suffered by Custer's command at the Battle of Little Bighorn.

"Few people realize that this battle led directly to President James Monroe ordering General Andrew Jackson to invade Florida," Cox said. "Just four years after Scott was defeated on the Apalachicola, Florida became part of the United States."

The Scott Massacre of 1817 looks both at the causes of the attack at Chattahoochee and the repercussions that followed it, including the cession of Florida to the United States by Spain. Profits from the volume support the West Gadsden Historical Society.

The book is available at Amazon.com and from all other major online retailers or can be ordered by mail from the West Gadsden Historical Society, Post Office Drawer D, Greensboro, FL 32330-0803. Please include your check or money order for $27 per book, tax and shipping included. It is also available as an instant download for Amazon Kindle devices or apps.

Read more...

Jackson County

Jackson County was created in 1822 out of what was then the Escambia territory. Originally Jackson County spanned from the Suwannee River to the Chotawhatchee River. The county boundaries slowly changed as new counties were formed and by the early 1900s the boundaries had been set to where they are today.

When Jackson County was created there were no towns. The first three courts were held at what is today Blue Springs, then at Big Spring of Chotawhatchee and next at the "Chipola Settlement which was located at today's Waddell's Mill Pond in 1822, 1823 and 1824 respectively.

The first town in Jackson County was called Webbville, founded in 1827 it located about 9 miles North West of Marianna. Webbville was poised to be the county seat, but in 1828 a group a settlers from Marianna went to Tallahassee and offered the state legislators free land, the construction of a courthouse and a land auction to finance the new government, if the legislators would agree to make Marianna the county seat. The legislators agreed. This was the beginning of the end of Webbville and the start of a growing Marianna.

It was around the time when the county was originally created that many settlers moved into to the area. There was activity beginning in the Malone and Greenwood area as early as 1824. Sneads was beginning to be settled as early as 1832. Graceville was incorporated in 1902, Cottondale in 1905 and Grand Ridge in 1907. So by the early 1900s most of the modern day towns of Jackson County were well established.

To See the evolution of Jackson County Maps from 1825 to 1932 follow the link below.

http://www.fcit.usf.edu/florida/maps/county/jackson/jackson.htm

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed