Located side by side with The Hayes-Long Mansion on the west side of Bryan Street (Hwy 71) as you exit Greenwood going north.
It is believed Cicero Long built the Mae Pender Harrell Home. He was one of the founders of Pender's Store which was known as N.B. Long and Brothers in 1869. His initials are painted on an inside wall of the store.
Robert Russell Pender and his wife Mary Anderson lived there from 1888 to 1898. Mr. Pender was born 21 May 1846 and died 14 March 1898. Mrs. Pender was born 24 October 1871 and died 10 July 1953. Their daughter, Mae Pender Harrell was born 6 August 1892 and lived 102 years to 16 May 1994.
By 1984 the house had gotten into a depleted condition. It was bought that year by Dr. Paul Surgnier. He did a very good job of repairing it. He also made several renovations. He added the dormers, installed aluminum windows and a porch all across the front. Several things were retained to help us date it to the 1840-1850s.
A close look at the pictures show several things that give away its date. They are the double, two panel doors, the side lights and transom. We have the shiplap siding on each side of the entrance. We have the head frames showing where the original porch was located.
It was bought by Mr. and Mrs. Tom Evans of Albany, Georgia in 1988 and they still own it.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /homepages/21/d175088933/htdocs/site/web/templates/gk_news/html/com_k2/templates/default/item.php on line 191