Menu
Creating a stepping stone path using concrete forms

Creating a stepping stone path usin…

Follow these steps to cre...

Chuck Nolen inducted into FBLA Hall of Fame

Chuck Nolen inducted into FBLA Hall…

Chuck Nolen has been teac...

Danny Sims – student to teacher, coach and beyond

Danny Sims – student to teacher, co…

Any high school student k...

School Board approves Sneads Elementary/Grand Ridge School changes

School Board approves Sneads Elemen…

Tuesday afternoon at the ...

Jon Stapleton – Excelling above and beyond

Jon Stapleton – Excelling above and…

Jon L. Stapleton began as...

Spring Creek and Chipola River cleanup an issue

Spring Creek and Chipola River clea…

Jackson County is known f...

Glazing cabinets for an inexpensive update

Glazing cabinets for an inexpensive…

For about $25 you can tra...

JCFR Union officials agree on $1 an hour raise

JCFR Union officials agree on $1 an…

The Jackson County Commis...

County Commissioners hesitant about film crew

County Commissioners hesitant about…

Executive Director at Vis...

Prev Next

The Green House

The Green House is located on Allen Street in West Greenwood. The land is of the same track described above (see Longwood).

It was located on Green Street in Marianna in 1976 where the Regions Bank is presently located. It was painted Green. At that time the Bicentennial Committee was trying to get a library started. It sat on the mover's dolly in a vacant lot. The porches had been removed and it became an eyesore. Everybody began to refer to it as the Green House and the name stuck. I think it would be more appropriate to refer to it as Dr. Wilson's home.

green-house-delongAbout 1984 Brook Bowman's three aunts, Margaret Dwight, Virginia Johnson and Dorothy Walker, who then resided in Los Angeles, bought it from the Millers. These Ladies lived here for the remainder of their lives.

The Green House was built in 1855 by Dr. W. S. Wilson of Quincy and his wife, Laura E. V. Robinson Wilson.  Laura Robinson was the daughter of Jesse RObinson, an 1812 United States Army Captain.  In 1861 Dr Wilson married Ann Robinson Roulhac, daughter of Jacob Robinson, Jackson County's first judge.  The house was sold in 1900 to R. S. Pierce.

The house of Gothic Victorian architecture faced Market Street and was turned around to face Green Street.  In 1974 the house was sold to First Federal Savings and Loan Association to be torn down to make way for a new bank building.  Jackson County was in dire need of a new public library and the Jackson County Heritage association saved the historical home in the hope of restoring it to a public library and museum.  After a year of controversy, the project was abandoned.  Work was then started to build a new building to house the library.  We owe our thanks to this historical house for bringing the dream of a new public library in Jackson County.

The house was sold to Bert Miller for $10.00 to be moved to its present location in Greenwood.  The house is now owed by Hope Walker.  Cited from:  

 

Write a comment...
awesome comments!
Last modified onThursday, 02 January 2014 18:51
back to top