With people trying to stay warm in frigid temperatures, it’s no surprise that incidents of fire-related injury and damage increase during winter
But you don’t have to shy away from using your fireplace! Just follow these simple safety tips.
• Clear out old ashes and debris from the firebox before use.
• Make sure the chimney flue is open before starting a fire.
• Make sure you have dry, seasoned wood on hand
• Use a mesh screen or other fire screen to prevent embers from igniting nearby carpet or furnishings.
• Don’t burn wet wood (it causes excess smoke)
• Don’t burn painted, stained or treated wood or manufactured wood such as plywood and particle board (it can produce toxic fumes)
• Don’t burn colored paper or cardboard (these contain chemicals that can produce toxic
• Don’t burn plastics or chemicals (they’re toxic)
• Don’t use accelerants (gas, kerosene or lighter fluid) — they can cause flare-ups
• Don’t use coal or charcoal in your fireplace (these burn much hotter than wood — too hot for your chimney — and can produce larger levels of carbon monoxide
If you have a fireplace, you definitely need to have these three things in your home:
• Fire Extinguisher: 1 for every 600 square feet of living space
• Smoke Detector: Since smoke rises, smoke detectors should be installed high up on walls or on the ceiling on every level of the home and in or near bedrooms. If yours is more than 10 years old, it’s time for a new one.
• Carbon Monoxide Detector: Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is a by-product of combustion from both wood-burning and gas-burning fireplaces. You need one on every level of the home as well as in or near all sleeping areas
Watch the video for details.
For more information, visit TodaysHomeowner.com.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /homepages/21/d175088933/htdocs/site/web/templates/gk_news/html/com_k2/templates/default/item.php on line 191
back to top