Menu
Tips to keep clothes dryers safe and efficient

Tips to keep clothes dryers safe an…

Homeowners are often puzz...

Bill Conrad delivers inspirational graduation speech

Bill Conrad delivers inspirational …

Jackson County had eight ...

Governor Ron DeSantis comes through with Bridge Loan for ag producers

Governor Ron DeSantis comes through…

The TIMES received a call...

Bannerman Surveyors closes after 50 years

Bannerman Surveyors closes after 50…

Robert A. “Buddy” and Sha...

How to remove paint from window panes

How to remove paint from window pan…

Painting around windows h...

Commission opts to close Blue Springs for 2019 season

Commission opts to close Blue Sprin…

Jackson County Parks and ...

K-8 School adds the dining hall as progress continues

K-8 School adds the dining hall as …

Jackson County School Boa...

When your parents become your children and visa-versa

When your parents become your child…

I’ve been known to say th...

How to replace a showerhead

How to replace a showerhead

To replace a showerhead: ...

Prev Next

10 Do’s and don’ts to keep your wood-burning fireplace safe

  • Written by  Danny Lipford
10 Do’s and don’ts to keep your wood-burning fireplace safe

With people trying to stay warm in frigid temperatures, it’s no surprise that incidents of fire-related injury and damage increase during winter 

months.

But you don’t have to shy away from using your fireplace! Just follow these simple safety tips.

 

DO’S

• Clear out old ashes and debris from the firebox before use.

• Make sure the chimney flue is open before starting a fire.

• Make sure you have dry, seasoned wood on hand

• Use a mesh screen or other fire screen to prevent embers from igniting nearby carpet or furnishings.

DON’TS

• Don’t burn wet wood (it causes excess smoke)

• Don’t burn painted, stained or treated wood or manufactured wood such as plywood and particle board (it can produce toxic fumes)

• Don’t burn colored paper or cardboard (these contain chemicals that can produce toxic

 fumes)

• Don’t burn plastics or chemicals (they’re toxic)

• Don’t use accelerants (gas, kerosene or lighter fluid) — they can cause flare-ups

• Don’t use coal or charcoal in your fireplace (these burn much hotter than wood — too hot for your chimney — and can produce larger levels of carbon monoxide

If you have a fireplace, you definitely need to have these three things in your home:

• Fire Extinguisher: 1 for every 600 square feet of living space

• Smoke Detector: Since smoke rises, smoke detectors should be installed high up on walls or on the ceiling on every level of the home and in or near bedrooms. If yours is more than 10 years old, it’s time for a new one.

• Carbon Monoxide Detector: Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is a by-product of combustion from both wood-burning and gas-burning fireplaces. You need one on every level of the home as well as in or near all sleeping areas

Watch the video for details.

For more information, visit TodaysHomeowner.com.

Write a comment...
awesome comments!
back to top